Wednesday, September 16, 2009

24 Hour Fitness Sport

My wife, son, and I joined 24 Hour Fitness on Saturday. It was more expensive than I expected but our membership includes a lap pool which is going to be essential if I am to survive the first of the three events in the half-triathlon in May - swimming. I was a swimmer in high school so going 880 yards in open water doesn't sound too intimidating - we used to warm up with 10 100-yard swims, but that was over 30 years ago!

Last night I found a 24 Hour Fitness Sport in the St. Louis area and went there for water aerobics and swimming. Since I had tickets to the St. Louis Blues pre-season opener I only stayed long enough for the class and 100 yards. I'm not sure I could have done much more than 100 yards even if I had more time. As it was I barely made it to the arena before the end of the second period.

This is the first serious exercise I've undergone in this process. Sure I ran a few times and I regularly do a few stretches and exercises in my hotel room; but this is the first time that the exercise lasted more than 10 minutes. As readers of this blog know I have been waiting until I lost more wait. Since the water is so gentle on one's joints, I can get started in the exercise part of my program earlier than what I originally planned.

The nutritional cleansing regimen continues, now supplemented by a little exercise. This should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment